Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The "Chaoszilla" List


Yeah, I know, another damn list and its been months since my last battle rep. My 40k involvement has as of late been a lot like a 14 year old boy’s sex life: full of speculation and short on consummation. So it goes, I guess.

Anyway, I was thinking about ways to try and make a Noise Marine list that could smash face, when I came up with this idea. Its based off the infamous prior Tyranid codex’s “Nidzilla” list, and though it’s a quark list to be sure, I think it could pack quite a punch if used properly.

The “Chaoszilla” List

Daemon Prince w/ wings, Warptime, MoS (160)

Chaos Dreadnought w/ multi-melta, DCCW w/ H flamer, extra armor (120)
Chaos Dreadnought w/ multi-melta, DCCW w/ H flamer, extra armor (120)
Chaos Dreadnought w/ multi-melta, DCCW w/ H flamer, extra armor (120)

8 Noise Marines w/ champ, doom siren, P-fist, sonic blaster x 5
Rhino w/ extra armor, combi-melta (300)
8 Noise Marines w/ champ, doom siren, P-fist, sonic blaster x 5
Rhino w/ extra armor (290)
8 Noise Marines w/ champ, doom siren, P-fist, sonic blaster x 5
Rhino w/ extra armor (290)

Defiler w/ cc arm x 2, DP (150)
Defiler w/ cc arm x 2, DP (150)
Defiler w/ cc arm x 2, DP (150)

TOTAL 1850



So the general idea here is to create a wall of Defilers and Dreads that act as a screen for the rhinos and the Daemon Prince. Hopefully the combination of smoke launchers and too many targets coming in too quick will help the big guys make it to the enemy’s lines. If they get blown up however, its likely that the rhinos will have survived which is still as win: I’ve seen Noise Marines backed by a champ and doom siren hit, and it ain’t pretty. As a bonus, they can easily jump out of the rhinos w/i 12” of an opponent and torrent the shit out of them.

As a complete aside, I know Princes are out of favor, but I figured one would go well with this list both thematically, as well tactically. He’s literally a monster, he adds some much needed anti-tank, and with 6 Defilers and Dreads running amok, he should be able to find some cover.

Possible challenges I forsee with this list are playing against null deployment lists that are able to split my forces (esp in objective games), as well as Tau and IG gun lines that sit on their back board edge and pound me with heavy weapons. Needless to say, going second against one of these lists might make for a quick game, as the limited movement of the Dreads (and you don’t want to get ahead of them into their LOS) means I can’t effectively reserve everything and hope to dash onto the board. Even so, those CC defilers can be surprisingly resilient (DP and two CC’s mean they don’t stop unless you utterly wreck them), and with wings on the Prince and the kill potential of the Noise Marines, a savvy foe is not going to have more than a turn or two to dedicate to monster duty anyway.

As a final bonus, I’d only need to add a Defiler and a Dread to my existing models, meaning this list really isn’t outside the realm of possibility. Now all I need is time to go play…

4 comments:

  1. I think that Nidzilla lists can do well. Personally I'd probably drop one of the dreads and some sonic blasters or other upgrades somewhere and make room for a second DP, who will still be in the theme but more mobile and controllable.

    While Lash is out of favor in some circles, I think it could be very useful in such a list, getting units into range for charges from the various units or clustering them for battlecannons/heavy flamers/doom sirens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are onto something there, especially with using Lash for the list.

    As for the extra Prince, I've done another similar version of this list in which I drop all of the blasters and the wargear from the champions and run two greater daemons instead. In fact, I think I may like that option better, as it hits even harder in H2H and can take out vehicles better than the p-fist champs anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be hard to run two Greater Daemons...only 0-1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, but why let something like the rules get in the way of a cool list?

    ReplyDelete