Saturday, October 23, 2010

How to Strip Paint from Plastic Miniatures

So I wanted to do this as a video, but I’m still having trouble getting my video cam to talk with my computer. It’s a pretty simple process however, and pictures will have to suffice for now.



Here I have 4 jetbikes that I picked up off of eBay. The seller noted they he picked them up second-hand and that they were “painted amateurish at best.” He wasn’t kidding.



There are a variety of substances you can use. I prefer brake fluid as its 1) cheap 2) not terribly smelly 3) gets the job done quite nicely.

The soak is simple: put the minis in, make sure they are covered in the undiluted fluid, put a lid on, and leave them be for about 2 hours.



When you go to pull them, you’ll want to use gloves. Scrub them all down with an old toothbrush before you do any rinsing with water. If you use the water in between, it ruins the effect of the solvent and you have to re-soak.



As you can see, the solvent gets about 98% of the paint off, with no damage to the actual miniature. If the mini has been primed and then painted, you may need to re-soak again to pull the primer off.



All in all it’s a easy process that takes minimal time. Brand new 4 jetbikes run $60. I picked these up for $16, and by the time I re-prime and paint no one will be the wiser.

2 comments:

  1. Love the bargains that are available via other peoples poor paint jobs! I've been the beneficiary of a few of those myself lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!


    ReplyDelete