Sunday, October 10, 2010

New! Improved! Still Inferior!




A visit from my brother-in-law and fellow geek a few weeks back gave me the chance to dust off the old Eldar and play them against my Noise Marines (who were proxy’ing as Ultramarines, to their horror). The experience kinda made me nostalgic for the little buggers, but alas, my current forces were still a far cry from optimized (two words – Foot ‘Dar). Back to the closet they went.

Some good eBaying fortune this weekend has changed that. Thanks to some shrewd deals, I was able to raise enough funds to get the bits needed to finish some of my skimmers and even muster some jetbikes.

With that said, I’ve cranked up the strategy oven and baked up a new Eldar list. This may not be the ‘best list ever’ but I’ve good a good feeling it will make for some interesting gameplay. Without further ado:

Eldrad @ 210

Autarch @ 90 (Fusion Gun, Power Weapon)

10 Storm Guardians @ 237 (Fusion guns x 2)
1 Wave Serpent (TL EML, Spirit Stones)

10 Storm Guardians @ 237 (Fusion guns x 2)
1 Wave Serpent (TL EML, Spirit Stones)

6 Guardian Jetbikes @ 152 (Shuriken Cannon x 2)
1 Warlock @ 53 (Jetbike, Embolden, Singing Spear)

5 Harlequin Troupe @ 122 pts (Close Combat Weapon x2; Harlequins Kiss x3; Fusion Pistol x2; Shuriken Pistol x3)

5 Harlequin Troupe @ 122 pts (Close Combat Weapon x2; Harlequins Kiss x3; Fusion Pistol x2; Shuriken Pistol x3)

Vyper @ 70 (Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon)

Vyper @ 70 (Scatter Laser)

Falcon @ 175 (Pulse Laser, Scatter Laser, Holo-field)

Falcon @ 175 (Pulse Laser, Scatter Laser, Holo-field)

Fire Prism @ 175 (Shuriken Cannon, Star Engine, Holo-field)

1848

Now for some explanation: Those well-versed in the internet lists are probably asking, “Where are the fire dragons?” Fire Dragons, Schmire Dragons says I. First everybody has them, which makes them boring and predictable. Second, Fire Dragons are essentially a high priced suicide squad. What this means is that the Eldar player is trading tit-for-tat with his opponent when his ‘tits’ are for more over-priced then his opponent’s ‘tats’. Marines and guard do the some melta-squad thing far better, cheaper, and with actual troops, should they survive. True, my BS 3 guardians with only 2 fusion guns may not be able to hit the broad side of a barn, but they can’t exactly be ignored either. And hopefully, with 10 of them they may even be able to take some fire before going down completely.

Besides, I’d rather engage heavier targets at range, which is what the Eldar should be doing anyway. For this role, the two Falcons ‘guided’ by Eldrad and a Fire Prism should do nicely. What’s more, anyone getting too close to the rear of these is going to get some angry clowns dumped on them. These guys can more than handle the 5 strong MSU units running about, as well as put a dent in a full sized tact squad. While 5 harlies won’t likely takedown a dedicated assault unit, they will put enough of a hurt on it that my Vypers, Falcons, and Eldrad (via Doom) can take care of the rest.

Some final thoughts: I’m going with an Autarch again for two reasons, one his fusion gun will give a much needed boost to the harlies pistols and fighting ability. Second, I intend to use his Master Strategist to effect a ‘Beta strike” on most of my opponents. I’ll do doing my usual dodgy Eldar tricks by reserving everything, but hopefully, with the Autarch I’ll be able to bring in a large faction of my army at once on weaker flanks, shredding side and rear armour in the process.

As for Eldrad, well what’s not to like about him. He can sit in the transport most of the game and guide the pulse lasers (which as us BS 3 armies know is essential), he can help shut down enemy psychic powers., or in a pinch, he can get out and doom the bad guys and fortune the good ones.

Of course that’s the theory. Looking forward to seeing what it actually does on the board.

2 comments:

  1. That list looks like it would be annoying to play against. The only thing that might be worse is if that Autarch was jump infantry to get it closer to tanks faster for the fusion gun, or lower initiative elite squads that you want to run through with your power weapon.

    I agree that it may not be 'T3H B3ST L1ST 3VAR!!!!1111oneoneonetwo', but it sure would be bothersome to play against it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That list looks like it would be annoying to play against.

    Let's hope so. I'm tired using Eldar lists against people that are "fun to play against." You know, the ones that are entertaining because they provide a lot of sad looking Eldar running about that provide good target practice for my opponent's tanks. I mean, I know they are a dying race and all, but do they have to be dying that fast?

    ReplyDelete