Saturday, October 30, 2010

Skull Rhinos: 1 of 3



So I've been working on my Khorne rhinos, trying to find a way to make them distinctively "Khorne-ish" while still having them try into the army as a whole. Green stuffed speaker-faces were the norm for my Noise Marine rhinos, so for my 'Serks I decided on, what else, skulls.

First off a disclaimer: I totally cribbed this idea from The Vanus Temple. I make no apologies as this guy's stuff looks sweet and it was just the effect I was looking for. So here's how to do it.

First, spray some cooking release on the sides of your rhinos. Grab a hunk of green stuff, roll it out flat, and then press it into the quarter panel areas. With the oil sprayed on, they should (gently) peel right off.



Next, take some skulls that you've glued to the end of something and press them into the still wet green stuff. Let these pieces dry at least overnight, until they've cured good and hard. In the meantime, you'll want to wash the oiled rhino in hot soapy water so that your primer will stick later on.



Once the molds are ready, spray them with some cooking release and push a layer of green stuff on top of them. Then, carefully peel off this new layer. I then set the pieces onto wax paper and trimmed them with a wet knife. This part takes some practice and patience, but is worth the effort. When the green stuff becomes firm, but not yet hard, gently place it into the quarter panels and use a knife or sculpt stick to press it in Don't be surprised if you have to do a little trimming.



And there you are, rhinos with great looking skulls of the sides. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out an plan to use this effect on other models in my Khorne army.

No comments:

Post a Comment