Thursday, November 11, 2010

2000 RTT Tourney List


In two weeks I’ll be playing in a 2000 point RTT tourney at my local store, Knightfall Games. In light of this, its time to cook up a list and talk theory-hammer.

Without further ado here my list:

Chaos Sorcerer w/ MoS, Lash, meltabomb (130)

5 Chosen w/ meltagun x 2, flamer x 2
Rhino w/ havoc (170)
5 Chosen w/ meltagun x 2, flamer x 2
Rhino w/ havoc (170)

5 Chosen w/ meltagun x 2, flamer x 2 (120)

5 Noise Marines w/ blastmaster
Rhino /w havoc (190)
5 Noise Marines w/ blastmaster
Rhino /w havoc (190)
5 Noise Marines w/ blastmaster
Rhino /w havoc (190)

Kharn (165)
6 Berserkers w/ champ & p-fist (166)
Land Raider w/ DP (240)

Chaos Predator w/TL autocannon, lascannon sponson (130)
Chaos Predator w/TL autocannon, lascannon sponson (130)

TOTAL 2001


First a disclaimer: I realize the list isn’t 100% optimized – here budget plays a part. Ideally, I’d have dropped the ‘Raider and put in another predator and noise marine unit in its place, but I as I already had the LR and didn’t have the cash to pickup two additional tanks, this will have to do.

Secondly, people who have been following my blog will note that this list is almost a 180 from my preferred “Drop List”. While I seriously considered running a scaled up version of my 1850 list for this army, I was concerned that it just wouldn’t play well at the higher points levels.

So strategy time. The most oblivious thing is that this list has tanks. Lots of them. While I think running a MSU + tank Chaos mech list isn’t necessarily the best way to win a tourney (an imperial opponent doing likewise will almost certainly have more tanks than you), I think as long as I keep my head about I can still be competitive.

Next obvious thing is templates; and this list packs a butt-load of these as well. The theory here is that with my limited long range anti-tank (two preds and a LR IS limited at 2,000 pts) I need to ensure that these units are always shooting at armor and that my templates are geared at troops in the open. With my limited heavy firepower and poor assault capability, I simply cannot permit de-meched enemy troops to be able to reach cover, or for deep strikers to survive past their initial drop into my backfield. The lash sorc may help here, but given the prevalence of anti-psychic stuff, its foolhardy to rely on this gimmick alone.

So how should this list run? The noise marines and preds will sit backfield, holding objectives and lobbing shoots. My chosen and ‘serkers are simply an aggressive form of ‘bubble wrap’. In most cases the chosen will probably just infiltrate on foot T1 and leave their tanks for movement blocking and additional template spam. Should my opponent actually leave tanks on his flank, I have enough chosen to reliably outflank and catch them by T3.

While one LR isn’t enough of a threat to most 2000 pt armies, with a Kharn inside it will still be a threat which must be dealt with. Hopefully, this unit will draw off my opponent’s heavy assaulters into midfield- where they can have their way with the serkers- just as long as when they’re finished they are about 18” away and in the open.

Against the average horde I can probably sit back a pretend I’m a shooting army. Against actual shooty armies like Tau, IG and Razorspam, I’ll probably have to hide off board and hope that terrain will allow me to castle up T2-3 on one flank until my outflanking chosen can get into my opponents line.

So that’s as things stand right now. As I said, it’s not a NOVA winner, but then again I’m not really a NOVA general, so I suppose it will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment