Sunday, December 26, 2010

Noise Marines at 1000 pts.


Rumor has it that next month’s tourney at the FLGS is going to feature a 5 round, 1000 point tourney. While this would be a great time to try out the Necrons, unfortunately both budget and time constraints mean I won’t be able to have 1,000 ready to go by then. February however…

In the meantime, it will have to be Chaos. This is not a big setback as I’ve got a solid variety of models to choose from, and at this level of points the constraints of the Chaos FOC aren’t felt as strongly as at say, 2k or 2.5k.

Let’s get to business. Here’s the list:

Daemon Prince w/ wings, Warptime (155)

3 Chaos Terminators w/ combi-melta x 3 (105)
5 Chosen w/ meltagun x 2, flamer x 1, IoCG (125)

5 Noise Marines w/ sonic blasters x 5, icon (130)
5 Noise Marines w/ sonic blasters x 5, icon (130)
5 Lesser Daemons (65)
5 Lesser Daemons (65)

Obliterator (75)
Obliterator (75)
Obliterator (75)

TOTAL 1000


Now for the breakdown. With this build I’ve eschewed all mech in favor of extra troops, hoping that my opponent’s dedicated anti-mech unit(s) will be effectively out of the game. Obviously there’s going to be a heavy reliance on deep-striking, and hopefully the abundance of icons in the list will keep any related wackiness to a minimum.

While in large games I think you can get away with ‘dedicated’ units, at 1000 points everything should as ‘swiss army knife’ as possible. Overall, the prevalence of icons and flexibility of units (oblits, daemons, and Prince esp.) should allow for just that. Against a shooty list I’ll hide everything off board in order to deepstrike dog pile exposed units. Against assaulters, I can probably stay more on the ground and use the termies and daemons as speed bumps and re-directors; hopefully buying more time for my oblits and Noises to shoot my opponent down to size.

One weakness as I see it now is going to be AP3 templates, as with 5 man strong units, one ‘hit’ with one of these virtually ensures the total destruction of the unit. MCs can also be a problem, as my ‘speed bumps’ won’t really hold them at bay long and I don’t enough massed shooting to be reliably pulling them down with guns alone. Here I’ll have to be careful to keep my DP alive long enough so that I can take 3-4 wounds off the MC so that he can finish them off.

Finally, although the deep striking gives me a good deal of initial mobility, the army post turn three is basically foot bound. This means that much of the tenor of the game is going to be set by my initial initial deployment, and a big mistake there will be difficulty to recover from.

That said, I’m pretty happy with the build and eager to give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment