Monday, December 19, 2011

CSM vs Tyranids @ 1,500: One Bad Lash Deserves Another

I fully intended to do a video rep of my latest debacle against the Tyranids, but poor lighting and a bad photographer (myself) rendered 90% of the pictures I took unusable. Oh well, I wasn’t in any huge rush to record that defeat anyway, hehe.

But the battle did bring into focus an important lesson about how even the best strategy can be laid low by one thoughtless mistake.

I was running my 1,500 Null List I’ve had some success with and my opponent was fielding something like this:

Trygon x 2
Tervigon x 2
2 Hive Guard x 2
Stealers x 8 with broodlord
Prime w/ 3 Warriors
Termagaunts x 10?

I feel my overall plan was solid: use terrain to constrain movement, lash to push back MCs I couldn’t shoot, and DPs to sweep anything that got too close.

We were playing objectives and I won board side. I used my Rhinos as make-a-wall terrain and deep struck everything else.



The picture is not the best, but the main points are well laid out. At this point I was feeling very confident. My opponent had basically setup exactly how I wanted, and without the help of Tryannofexes, he would be running uphill to do anything other than immobile my vehicles in place. With any luck my, suicide termies and oblits would come in behind him and pop a Tervigon before the spawning fest got too far out of hand. I was in good position to hold two objectives and easily contest a third.

And then I fucked up.

For reasons I’m not entirely clear on, I lashed my opponent’s genestealers away from my forces instead of out into the open. Perhaps I was applying the same blanket logic of ‘push them back’ to the stealers that I was planning on doing to the Trygons, which for them would have been great. But for the stealers it was disaster.



Thus, instead of being able to open up on them with 15 sonic blasters and a couple of princes, I pushed them away, but firmly in cover. Now all he had to do was to sit back in cover and wait to take the objective on T5. Making matters worse, my chosen, who were holding my right flank, were now threatened from behind by a potential stealer charge.

By T3 things looked like this:



Rather than be able to speed bump my chosen forward and delay one of the Trygons for a turn (buying my lash prince time to push him away), I pulled them back to take flamer shots at the stealers. This freed up a Trygon to reach my tank wall. The rest was a forgone conclusion. I conceded on T6 with my opponent holding 3 objectives.

The big takeaway? Little mistakes can have a huge impact, especially early on in the game. The best remedy is to weigh individual targeting and movement decisions against your overall strategy; not just in the current turn, but several turns ahead as well. If the contemplated action doesn't help you to get to where you want to be in T5, then it isn't worth doing in T1.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment