Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Airbrushing Necrons: Part One

At long last, after weeks of gathering parts and cleaning up an old airbrush I got awhile back, I was able to test it out on my Necron Warriors.




Obviously, this is still a work in progress and I have a lot of learning to do. As a first run however, I'm happy with the results. Some thoughts in no particular order:

1.) Utilize some of the "How To" vids on Youtube for directions and pointers on getting setup. I wish I had bookmarked them as I found them so I could give their sites some traffic. Alas, I forgot.

2.) Airbrushing makes batch painting 40 models (as I did) a breeze, and with just a bit of practice you can get a fairly smooth coating.

3.) If possible, start with paints designed specifically for airbrushes: Everytime I did the paint came out great. Everytime I tried to use a 'regular' mini paint with thinners added it clogged the brush. This is 100% the result of my ineptitude with mixing, but no reason to make a hard start harder.

4.) Don't cheap out on extras likes gloves, masks, solvents, etc. They make painting easier, maintain your expensive equipment, and let's face it: we're already collecting GW stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Once you get the hang of it, it will be your best friend!

    I go for a 50/50 paint to H20 ratio when airbrushing GW paints. If the paints brand new i use a little less H2O.

    Another tip (which i found out the hard way) is dont do anything to regulate the air flow. This gives you sluggish paint movement through the gun, leading to major clogging! I killed 3 cheap airbrushes doing this before i figured it out! Just ajust the paint flow insted and you'll get clean, smooth finihses.

    ReplyDelete